If weight gain wasn’t an issue, then we’d probably eat pancakes for breakfast and lunch, and maybe between meals. For those folks who are addicted to fluffy pancakes, with melting butter and a decadent drizzle of syrup, we have good news! Since we’re in love with pancakes, but not the extra pounds, we’ve got healthy pancake recipes just in time for International Pancake Day on March 7th. It’s the perfect excuse to dive into a stack of steaming hot pancakes! But there’s no need to stick with the classic buttermilk version. It’s a hearty option for breakfast, but not the healthiest way start to your day.
People who are allergic to wheat gluten, or who have other dietary restrictions, can’t include traditional pancakes in their diet! But our healthy pancake recipes make sure they too have options. Pancakes do not have to be full of carbs, or calorie guilt. When you learn these recipes, you’ll be able to indulge in heavenly homemade pancakes while on a diet, and it will be as easy as making regular buttermilk pancakes. These healthy pancake alternatives are low fat, delicious and absolutely guilt free. See for yourself!
Vegan Pancake Recipe
With only 6 ingredients and 10 minutes of preparation, this recipe will give you the most delicious vegan pancakes. Plus, they are only 100 calories each!
What you need (makes 8):
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups unsweetened plain soy milk
1 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Cooking spray or oil
- First, place the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl, and mix.
- Add soy milk, maple syrup and vanilla; mix until smooth.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Then, pour a heaping spoonful of batter onto the hot pan, and cook on one side until bubbles start forming. Then flip, and cook on the other side (about 1 minute).
- Last, serve warm and enjoy with maple syrup, jam, fresh fruit or any other side of your choice.
Gluten-free and dairy-free Pancake Recipe
Do you think it doesn’t get any easier than vegan pancakes? Trust me it does! This pancake recipe is a gluten and dairy free option that only needs 2 ingredients. That’s right, no mistake here, just 2 simple ingredients! The soft custard-like texture and a creamy melt-in-your-mouth taste of these pancakes will get you hooked after the first bite!
What you need (makes 8 small pancakes):
1 medium ripe banana
2 large eggs
1/8 tsp. baking powder (for fluffier pancakes)
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cocoa powder
1 tsp. honey
Butter or oil for frying
- First, mash the banana with a fork. Add any extras of your choice or skip and go to the next step.
- Whisk the eggs and stir into the mashed banana until well combined.
- Heat a heavy cast iron skillet or a non-stick pan over medium heat with a little butter or oil (optional).
- Drop 2 tablespoons of batter onto the hot skillet and cook for about 1 minute until the edges start to look set. Flip and cook for another minute or so. (The first time, flipping can be tricky, so make sure to do it gently and slowly with a thin spatula).
- Finally, serve warm with maple syrup, fresh fruit or any other topping you like. Though best when eaten fresh, you can also save them for later storing in the fridge for a couple of days.
Are you excited to try these new guilt-free and delicious recipes at home? Or maybe you’re craving for something more authentic? How about making some Traditional Russian pancakes?
If you’ve read this far, we’re sure you have friends who’d like these recipes too. Click those share buttons below.